|NARS Sheer Lipstick- love the logo on the packaging, but the matte finish on the tube leaves it prone to getting dirty!|
I originally got Dolce Vita ($30 CAD at Sephora, Holt Renfrew, and The Bay, though I got mine in a makeup swap) because it has gained much cult status among makeup connoisseurs as being the perfect "my lips but better" shade. That is, its colour and finish are meant to mimic the tone and texture you'd love your lips to be naturally, with just a touch of oomph. Since I have fairly pale lips to start with (and am always on the quest for shades to enhance this pallor without looking too made up), this sounded like the perfect shade for me!
Here is a picture of Dolce Vita in the tube:
|NARS Sheer Lipstick in Dolce Vita|
And swatched on my inner arm:
|Dolce Vita swatched on my arm (MAC NC15 skin tone)- you can see that it's pretty sheer!|
As you can see, Dolce Vita is a sheer, slightly warm muted rose shade. NARS describes it as a "sheer dusty rose", which is pretty accurate. The Sheer finish offers "sheer, long-lasting colour pigments [that] have been suspended in [a] translucent formula to provide a sophisticated shine" (as per NARS' description). Indeed, this lipstick is highly pigmented, but amazingly lightweight and breathable on the lips. Here are a few pictures of me wearing it:
|Me wearing NARS Dolce Vita Lipstick|
|And yes, that is a cat with a bow tie on my sweater :)|
- Comfortable, moisturizing formula
- The perfect shade for that "my lips but better" effect
- Extremely versatile colour- can work with many different makeup looks!
- The texture and shade make lips look full, yet natural
- At $30, this is fairly pricey!
- Although I love this shade, it would probably be fairly easy to find a drugstore version of this at a third of the price (though I'm yet to find one!)
In all, Dolce Vita is a shade I reach for often because it is so flattering and versatile. And until I find a less expensive dupe for this, it will be a mainstay in my collection :)