FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Friday 25 November 2011

30 Days of Lipstick, Day 16: Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella

On Day 16 I was in the mood for red lips, so I went for it! I opted for a rich, matte shade: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella. I received it recently in a makeup swap and have been loving it. The first time I tried it out, I immediately thought "Snow White lips!", which I thought was a wonderful thing :)

NARS describes Cruella as a "scarlet red", which is fairly accurate. It's a deep, pigmented red, but is just bright enough that it screams "princess!" rather than "villain!" (But if you're interested in channeling your inner villainess, drop me a line and I'll give you some recommendations ;)

Here is what Cruella lip pencil looks like:



NARS Cruella Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
The product does smudge on the tube a bit, which is the only downside of the packaging!


The pencil formula makes this lipstick super easy to apply. It's like liner and lipstick in one! The finish is definitely matte with full-coverage colour. Here are a few pictures of me wearing it:

Me wearing NARS Cruella Velvet Matte Lip Pencil





The Verdict

Pros:
  • A perfect classic, neutral shade of red that is not too warm- or cool-toned
  • Great colour pigmentation
  • The pencil format makes it super easy to apply!
  • Long-wearing colour
Cons:
  • At $30 CAD this is fairly expensive
  • Because this formula is super matte, it has a slight tendency to dry out my lips

This is my go-to product when I'm aiming for a matte, neutral red that is long-wearing and a cinch to apply. Try it out- I promise that you'll feel like Snow White (with a bold, modern twist :)

2 comments:

  1. Best picture of this shade I've seen! Looks fab, is it a pinky red?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, it's a blue-based, slightly pinky red (as opposed to a more orange red), but is definitely more of a red shade than a fuchsia or a berry. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)