FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Thursday 31 July 2014

Look of the Day: Metallic Succubus

Hi, everyone! Surprise, surprise- another Look of the Day! And one with quite the dramatic title! I love the look of metallics on the eyes and today's look took that turn somewhat accidentally. I had planned on a smokey bronze look highlighting a new goody in my collection, Josie Maran Coconut Watercolour Eye Shadow in Bora Bora Bronze. I started off on that route, and then I pulled out the amazing Marc Jacobs The Siren Eye-Con palette and the rest was metallic makeup history! As for the "succubus" element, that has everything to do with my blood red lips. But more on that in a moment...


Let's start with the lips. I was at the Illamasqua counter a few weeks ago and made a beeline for the lip gloss section. I rarely gravitate towards glosses, but I spotted a couple shades that I'd seen bloggers rave about and I knew I had to try one! Given my lipstick ban, I had to get a bit creative. So I went ahead and asked for a sample. Yes, only I would ask for a sample of lip gloss! The sales associate, with a cheery determinism, diligently scooped some gloss into a jar and I left happily with my new treat! I opted for Succubus a slightly cool-toned bold red with a seriously awesome name. For this look, I blotted it down (as to not overpower the eyes) and paired it with one of my favourite soft, shimmery blushes, MAC Mineralize Blush in Dainty


For the eyes, I started with Bora Bora Bronze, applying it to the outer half of my lid, blending it outward and upward towards the crease. I also added a gentle touch of it along the outer portion of my lower lash line, to smoke things up just a bit. I then popped some of the metallic orange bronze shade from The Siren palette on the centre of my lid- I was instantly dazzled by the effect! It layered wonderfully over top of the liquid eye shadow, so I kept going! I popped some of the orange shade along the lower lash line as well. I tried to make the look pop while sticking with the metallic theme, so I packed on some of the reflective lemon yellow shade from The Siren on the inner third of my lid and the inner corners of the eye. I created definition courtesy of my favourite liquid liner, Revlon ColourStay Liquid Eye Pen in Blackest Black and lushed up my lashes with two coats of BeneFit They're Real!

Here are some closeups of the finished eye look, followed by a full list of everything I used! 



The Breakdown:

Primer: Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation Primer 
Foundation: Revlon ColourStay Liquid Makeup (Combination/Oily Formula) in Buff
Concealer: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place High Cover Concealer in W1
Powder: Revlon ColourStay Pressed Powder in Light (on t-zone) and Revlon Nearly Naked Pressed Powder in Light (lightly all over)

Bronzer: The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder in Fair Matte
Blush: MAC Mineralize Blush in Dainty



Brows: Maybelline Define-A-Brow in Dark Blonde
Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion Original Formula
Eye Shadows: Josie Maran Coconut Watercolour Eye Shadow in Bora Bora Bronze (as a base on the outer two thirds of the lid, blended outward and upward toward the crease) and from the Marc Jacobs The Siren Eye-Con palette, the bronzy orange shade (packed heavily in the centre of the lid and on the lower lash line), the lemon yellow shade (applied heavily to the inner third of the eye and inner corners) and the white shade (applied to the brow bone)

Eyeliner: Revlon ColourStay Liquid Eye Pen in Blackest Black (along upper lash line, winged out) and Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Liner in Nude (on lower waterline)
Mascara: BeneFit They're Real!

Lips: Illamasqua Intense Lip Gloss in Succubus (blotted down)



And a few more shots of the look: 





I have to say that this was one of my favourite makeup looks ever! I know that's saying a lot, but I really love metallics and don't play with them nearly often enough! Once I finished the eye makeup, it reminded me of a stunning look that Lauren Luke created in this video, inspired by the Roberto Cavalli runway. Some true subconscious inspiration! As for my version, Bora Bora Bronze really is a stunning shimmery (ultra long-wearing!) bronze shadow and I'm so pleased with how much use I'm getting out of my rainbow-coloured The Siren palette. I'm reaching for it every weekend! And just a moment for Succubus- I had zero complaints about this bold gloss. From the texture to the shade- it was perfection!

Do you like playing with metallics? Any favourite red glosses?

Thanks for stopping by :)

39 comments:

  1. Gorgeous - LOVE the eyes! Ahaha, a sample of a lipgloss?! I didn't think that was possible. Will definitely have to try that one out one day... ;)

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the sweet Illamasqua sales woman made it possible ;) Thanks, Tasha! :)

      Delete
  2. WOW - that blending is incredible. I can't stop staring at the mix! Wonderful colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen! you look gorgeous! I love the combination of metallic colours, they look very pretty on your eyes <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That eye shadow look is gorgeous! suits you so much! x

    www.lovevintageonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. UM, THIS IS PERFECTION?!?!?! I am so obsessed with this look I'm tempted to run out and get everything you're wearing.

    Seriously.

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, you're too sweet, Louise! Glad I inspired you :)

      Delete
  6. great look, I love the multi-tonal looks, I am too cack-handed to carry out something so beautiful though xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh la la! Beautiful - I love the earthy, multi-tonal looks! The lipstick works so beautifully with the entire eye makeup - that's amazing!

    Stephanie @ theFantasia.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so pretty! Can you just do my makeup for me everyday? You should really consider doing Youtube! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Have definitely been thinking of Youtube... maybe in months to come :)

      Delete
  9. beautiful dear!
    happy weekend!

    <3
    http://www.getcarriedaway.net/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great look! I'm loving bronze looks lately! I am obsessinnnnng over these Josie Maran Coconut Watercolour Eye Shadows they're so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Watercolour shadows really are fabulous :)

      Delete
  11. Ooo this is beautiful! Has inspired me to go metallic at work tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, I definitely need one of those Josie Maran eyeshadows. Do you like to apply them with your finger or a brush? P.S. I love the name of this post, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ingrid! You definitely need one- I apply with fingers, which I think works best :)

      Delete
  13. tottallly like it doll!
    www.supongoestilo,blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow this is soo pretty! Realli love it, the colours are just gorgeous! xx

    ~ VISUALCANDY INC.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not sure my comment went through earlier.. Just wanted to say the look is gorgeous and so well blended! Love what you did with the MJ palette :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OOO gorgeous bronzy/golden/orange look! You have serious eyeshadow skills! I'd so love to lay my hands on one of those coconut water shadows at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sunny! You really should- they're fabulous :)

      Delete
  17. you look amazing !!!!

    http://vladasworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that lip color looks gorgeous, so smart of you to blot down a gloss for a stained look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Made the gloss more wearable with the bold eye, but it's stunning full-on as well :)

      Delete
  19. Loving your posts & pics ,
    your reviews has evolved beautifully throughout the weeks
    & those eyes are just WOW

    N@NY

    This week's ( 50 Shades of blue )ootd is up on my blog ,
    come & drop me some love sweetie ,,

    http://artofnanyslife.blogspot.com/

    P.S. Follow me on insta & i will instantly follow back @nanyslife

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)