FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Friday 18 July 2014

Look of the Day: Hot and Cold

Happy Friday, everyone! Three cheers for the weekend! It's just been one of those weeks... Time for some much-needed respite. In terms of today's makeup, leave it to me to turn an eye-focused look into one that highlights a statement lip at the last minute. Sometimes I just can't help myself! The end result was one of my favourite ways to play with contrasts in makeup- a warm, sultry eye paired with a vivid, cool-toned lip. Perfectly summery, if I do say so myself!

Cue the dramatic, smoldering expression...


The look started out as on homage to a brand new MAC eye shadow in my stash. Antiqued is a stunning warm reddish, coppery brown that has instantly taken a front seat in my summer makeup rotation. I paired it here with some of my favourite warm-toned MAC shadows and they all worked so nicely together! I started by applying Motif all over the lid, blending up to the crease. I then added a healthy dose of Antiqued to the crease for added warmth and definition and popped some of Bronze on the outer corners. I added some extra dazzle by packing Amber Lights to the centre of my lid and brightened things up with touches of Ricepaper on the inner corners and brow bones. I also added some Antiqued to the outer half of my lower lash line, to subtly smoke things up. 


Here's a close-up of all of these warm MAC shadows working in unison:


I had originally planned on an ultra-neutral lip, but then I looked inside my makeup bag and thought "colour!". I contrasted the ultra warm eye look with my favourite cool-toned fuchsia lipstick, NARS Schiap. A true classic! The matte texture of Schiap also contrasted nicely with the super shimmery finish of the eye shadows. Another example of opposite attraction! I finished things off with a mix of warm and cool-toned blushes, Clinique Cheek Pop in Ginger Pop and Urban Decay Blush in Temper.


And for a full list of everything that went into this look:

The Breakdown:

Primer: Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation Primer 
Foundation: Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation in Ivory
Concealer: Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer Stay-in-Place High Cover Concealer in W1
Powder: Revlon ColourStay Pressed Powder in Light (on t-zone) and Revlon Nearly Naked Pressed Powder in Light (all over)

Bronzer: The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder in Fair Matte
Blush: Clinique Cheek Pop in Ginger Pop layered with Urban Decay Blush in Temper (from the Shattered Face Case)

Highlighter: BeneFit Watt's Up (on cheekbones and down bridge of nose)

Brows: Maybelline Define-A-Brow in Dark Blonde
Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion Original Formula
Eye Shadows: (All from MAC): Motif (on inner third of the lid), Amber Lights (on centre of the lid, blended up and out), Antiqued (on the crease), Bronze (on outer corner of the eye), and Ricepaper (as a highlight on inner corners and brow bones)

Eyeliner: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Pencil in Bourbon
Mascara: BeneFit They're Real!

Lips: NARS Semi-Matte Lipstick in Schiap


And a few more shots of the look:






Sometimes my favourite looks are those that don't end up as planned. Those that pair shades that intuitively shouldn't harmonize. And those that involve a vibrant fuchsia lip! Antiqued and Schiap will undoubtedly reign as heavy favourites as summertime marches on; they are both perfect warm weather companions!

Do you ever have fun contrasting warm and cool tones? What are your go-to summer staples at the moment?

Have a wonderful weekend! xo

22 comments:

  1. You look lovely, Jen!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blush is so lovely on you. I was about to say I love your face but then that's kinda weird... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your lipstick here. Hope you enjoy the weekend!


    New post: Flower Beards


    Follow me on: Instagram @kennydaily, Bloglovin and Facebook



    xoxo;
    What Kenny Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved the contrast of warm and cool colors all in one look. Schiap looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much- it's one of my all-time faves! xo

      Delete
  5. Hey Jennifer, what a fun and bold look! You wear VERY warm eyes so well! These are shades I can't touch, because I'll end up looking tired and ill!

    I do a little contrasting sometimes, but not to the same degree! It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Sunny! Super cool-toned shades can look off on me, so I gravitate towards warm tones :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely makeup look! That lipstick is gorgoeus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous makeup look! that lip colour is STUNNING

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. there's a cute Dahlia trench coat giveaway on my blog at the moment, click here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, this looks beautiful. I love the pink lipstick and those MAC eyeshadows are shimmery perfection. What is the secret to your flawless skin??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geez, I'd say very careful concealer and foundation application? haha... my skin is far from perfect. Thanks, Megan :)

      Delete
  9. omg! this post is soo fabulous!! enjoyed reading it! and also the photos ♥__♥

    New style post sweetie!
    http://michaelmacalos.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey sweetheart

    you have such an amazing face! you look like a model!

    love your blog!amazing lay out!

    check on my blog my new hair color!

    love
    vicky

    http://www.fashionrailways.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy crab cakes, you look amazing! Your skin looks gorgeous, and that lip color really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your make ups! they are stunning

    xx
    http://loadsof-joy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking beautiful Jen. The lipstick looks gorgeous too xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chic and trendy ! Particularly pretty on you !

    Paddychat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely warm eye look! I love the Antique shade, it's on my MAC-to-buy list. For some reason though I haven't hauled much MAC lately, I seem to be ticking off products from other brands off my wishlist first..

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)