FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Saturday 10 May 2014

Veracious Product Review: Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette

Hi, everyone! If there are two things that I'm a huge sucker for, it's makeup and chocolate (and cats, but that would make three things). It's no surprise, then, that I picked up the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eye Shadow Collection during the Sephora VIB Sale last month. I'd been waffling on this product for a while because, let's face it, I own quite a few neutral eye shadow palettes. Upon close and repeated inspection, however (yes, I did stalk this for a while), I realized this was quite unlike anything I had in my collection. The Chocolate Bar palette includes a great selection of matte, shimmer, and glitter finishes, a nice mix of bronze, taupe, and plummy hues, and- the kicker- smells like chocolate! What's not to love!?



The Chocolate Bar comes in a pink and gold decorative box, reminiscent of a package you'd find nestled in a candy shop. 

The back of the box illustrates the 16 shades of shadow inside and provides a description of the collection. It mentions that these eye shadows are formulated with real cocoa powder, hence the amazingly decadent smell :)




The palette itself resembles- what else?- a chocolate bar. It's made of durable plastic and looks good enough to eat! It isn't the sleekest of packaging, but the novelty of it makes it ultra unique. 



The palette itself contains a decently-sized mirror (see first pic) and a sheer overlay that provides the names of each of the shadows inside. You can see that the two palest shade have larger pans, which I think is absolutely brilliant! I always go through highlight colours much quicker than deeper ones, so this will ensure that these everyday shades will last. 



In line with the theme of the palette, each of the shade names is rather mouth-watering. As mentioned, there is a fabulous selection of 16 shades in this palette. More than most! They are:

Gilded Ganache- a cool, mid-tone, shimmery taupe
White Chocolate- a matte ivory
Milk Chocolate- a warm, matte lighter brown
Black Forest Truffle- a deep plum with sparkle
Triple Fudge- a deep, neutral matte brown
Salted Caramel- a warm, matte butterscotch
Marzipan- a shimmery champagne
Semi-Sweet- a mid-tone matte mahogany
Strawberry Bon Bon- a matte candy pink
Candied Violet- a shimmery, cool blueish-purple
Amaretto- a warm, shimmery plummy gold
Hazelnut- a warm, mid-tone shimmery brown
Creme Brulee- a true, shimmery gold
Haute Chocolate- a neutral chocolate brown with subtle shimmer
Cherry Cordial- a warm, matte magenta
Champagne Truffle- a shimmery, silvery pale pink

And here are swatches of all 16 shades on my inner arm (MAC NC15 skin tone), placed exactly as they appear in the palette:



And some close-ups:

(Left to right, Top to Bottom): Gilded Ganache, White Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Hazelnut, Creme Brulee, Haute Chocolate

(Left to Right, Top to Bottom): Milk Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle


So many deliciously pretty shades! Now for the full breakdown of the pros and cons of this yummy palette:

Pros:
  • Great variety of matte, shimmer, and glitter shades
  • Nice balance of warm and cool tones
  • Includes bronzes, taupes, plums, and pinks all in one palette!
  • Shadows are easily blendable and apply smoothly
  • The shades are quite pigmented and long-wearing
  • Smells like chocolate!
  • Cute, cheeky packaging, that's also quite sturdy
  • Cruelty-free, which is huge in my books!
  • At $59 CAD, I actually find this to be a great value as it contains 16 shadows. Imagine how much 16 MAC eye shadows would cost?!
Cons:
  • Packaging is bulky, and thus, not travel-friendly if you want to pack light
  • If you prefer chic, elegant, minimalistic packaging, this is not the palette for you!

So there you have it! As you can tell, I'm so loving this palette. The variety of shades and finishes is incredible, the textures are soft, blendable, and pigmented, the formula is long-wearing, and it smells like chocolate! The packaging isn't super travel-friendly, but it is incredibly unique and adorable, which makes up for its clunkiness in my books. I'll be posting an entry featuring 4 separate looks with the Chocolate Bar palette soon, so keep your eyes open for that!

Have you tried the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette? Have I tempted you? Other favourite products from Too Faced?

Have a wonderful weekend :)


26 comments:

  1. This palette looks gorgeous! I'm always so tempted by Too Faced products!

    Kimberley | Kimberley's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous palette, it's just the right mix of neutrals and color :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I would make a lot of use of this one :)! Such lovely shades and who doesn't love chocolate?! :)

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was looking at this and really wanted it but i have so many of the colors alreayd. (and so many palettes...damn).
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This palette looks lovely! Great Post x

    www.lovevintageonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovvve the chocolate theme :) Definitely don't need this...but want is a totally different story :)

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, indeed! I didn't technically need it either, but there are some pretty unique shades in the palette that make it so worth it :)

      Delete
  7. Oh what a yummy palette! I have no real access to Too Faced, so the only thing I've tried so far is their lip liner (which I do like a lot). I've been eyeing their new lipstick line as well. Maybe I need one more lipstick after all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That palette is gorgeous! I keep wanting to get it too! And in right there with you- makeup, chocolate and cats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanx my love for this inpsiration!<3
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seriously love this palette. The packaging is amazing and it smells soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was waffling about this palette for the longest time as well. Didn't end up getting it as I thought some of the colours wouldn't be too usable for me. But seriously though, real cocoa powder? I wouldn't be able to stop using this palette :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the colours and pigmentation! Have a great Monday. :)



    I AM ALSO ON: Instagram @kennydaily, Bloglovin and Facebook (i follow back, just let me know your links)


    xoxo;
    What Kenny Hearts a Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kenny! Hope you're having a great week :)

      Delete
  13. ..........YOOOOOOOOOOO....could you imagine if there was lipstick/blush shaped like cats (like Paul/Joe) that was chocolate scented? BOOM. This palette is so gorgeous, and knowing the texture of Too Faced, I'm in envy!

    Forget the minimalist packaging, I'd rather opt for this novelty one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah- that would be the ultimate! And I'm with you- this sort of novelty packaging is right up my alley :)

      Delete
  14. you just gave me a reason to buy this palette. its so gorgeous and has fantastic colors, even though they are mostly nude colors, the other colors complement the shades
    xxx
    cool blog you have here
    http://loadsof-joy.blogdspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad I inspired you to give it a go! xo

      Delete
  15. Haha, and is smells amazing too! Difficult to resist :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Looks an amazing palette. Nice swathes and review dear :-)
    http://naturelbellefemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The palette looks gorgeous! I love the shimmery shades and the matte ones look great as well. Marzipan looks like a more pigmented All That Glitters.

    Laura
    www.lauraneuzeth.com

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)