FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Wednesday 21 May 2014

"Thanks, Mr. Taxman" Haul :)

Hi, everyone! It's time for (surprise, surprise) another haul! The Tax Man was extra generous to me this year (yay for tax return season!), so I treated myself with a trip up to Yorkdale Mall last week. Yorkdale is a bit of an extra trek for me, but I always enjoy an occasional visit due to the amazing variety of stores (everything from Old Navy to Holt Renfrew!). It's a bit difficult to maneuver and I always get lost in there, but that's besides the point. Onto the haul!



I snagged a variety of skincare and makeup items, all of which have me totally excited! I've put all of them to good use already, so I feel like I went home with some instant staples and favourites. Here's a few words about each!

REN Clear Calm 3 Clarifying Clay Cleanser
As my Elemental Herbology cleanser is running quite low, I was on the look-out for a new morning-time cleanser suitable for tackling the summer weather and my temperamental oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin. I'd heard nothing but good things about this REN Clear Calm Clay Cleanser and further inspection convinced me that it was destined to be mine. This creamy face washed is designed to be deep cleansing (thanks to French clay), antibacterial, gently exfoliating (with salicilin and lactic acid), and soothing (thanks to chamomile and other gentle botanicals). All things that I look for! It's also free of parabens, sulfates, or phthalates, which is a huge plus. 

Aesop Chamomile Concentrate Anti-Blemish Mask
I had sampled this mask some months back and was totally impressed. This clay-based, deep cleansing mask is another product that aims to purify the skin while soothing it and keeping it calm. So what my complexion needs! This creamy, cooling treatment includes Chamomile, Tea Tree, and Evening Primrose to leave the skin "calmed, softened, and pacified" (from aesop.com). It can be used as an all-over face mask or as an overnight spot treatment, so also quite versatile!

Aesop Parsley Seed Antioxidant Eye Serum and Antioxidant Eye Cream (samples)
The sweet and helpful sales associate at the Aesop counter convinced me that the Parsley Seed eye products were the bees knees. The textures felt quite lovely on the skin, but since these are quite pricey, I thought I'd go for samples first. She provided me with two sachets each so that I could give them a proper go! The Eye Serum is designed to offer light-weight hydration (thanks to an aloe base) and protect with vitamins, antioxidants, and fatty acids. She mentioned that you can store it in the fridge for an extra cooling treat! The Eye Cream is richer, containing a shea-butter base and Vitamins C and E for antioxidant protection. She said that this one makes a perfect nighttime eye treat!


Aesop Purifying Facial Exfoliant Paste
This was another Aesop goody that I sampled awhile ago that totally blew me away! I typically don't like manual exfoliants, as they tend to irritate my sensitive skin, but this gem of a scrub seems to be incredibly effective without causing any redness or soreness. It's actually a combination of manual and chemical exfoliation, with scrubby bits of quartz (fancy) and lactic acid (my favourite acid. Yes, I have a favourite!). It's all set in a creamy base, which makes it a pleasure to use!

Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen High Protection Tint SPF40 in Light

Since I use both retinol and chemical exfoliant-based products on a pretty regular basis, I'd been on the market recently for a new lightweight daily sunscreen to wear underneath foundation. Let me tell you, it's not an easy task to find a high SPF that doesn't leave my skin a greasy, spotty mess! I spotted this option from Clarins while in Sephora and was drawn to its promises of a matte finish, 100% mineral sunscreen, and potent anti-oxidant and antipollution protection. It has a sheer tint of colour, which is something that my blotchy skin can always use, plus it's free of synthetic dyes, petrochemicals, GMOs, and phthalates. Score!

MAC Powder Blush in Modern Mandarin
This blush was single-handedly thrust onto my radar by Coco at The Beauty Milk. It looked so lovely on her and the shade seemed right up my alley. I knew I had to check it out! MAC describes the shade as a "red-orange", but I would say that it's more of a yellowed golden orange with slight pinky-coral undertones. It gives a stunning satiny sheen to the cheeks without any hint of frost or noticeable glitter. It reminds me slightly of NARS Taj Mahal, but with a much more wearable level of sheen and saturation. It's a beaut!

MAC Maleficent Eye Shadow x4
I am so excited for the new Maleficent movie, as she has always been my favourite and most feared (yikes!) Disney villain. For whatever reason, I wasn't particularly excited about MAC's new Maleficent collection. Until I saw it in person, that is. I opted for the Maleficent eye shadow quad, as it contains two lovely matte browns (Ground Brown and Concrete; much lacking in my stash), a stunning shimmery yellow gold (Goldmine), and a true matte black (Carbon). I could see these tones working perfectly together for both a natural, neutral look or something a bit more... evil ;)



So there you have it! I was (am still am) super jazzed about all of the goodies I picked up last week. The shades, textures, and formulas of all of these products are such a pleasure to use and will undoubtedly be staples in my summer routine.

Have I tempted you with anything here? What have you hauled lately?

Thanks for reading! xo

41 comments:

  1. Thank MAC blush looks really pretty! Gotta love a good tax-refund haul! :)
    BeyondBlush

    ReplyDelete
  2. the color of that mac blush look really lovely! Great job on this post dear.



    I AM ALSO ON: Instagram @kennydaily, Bloglovin and Facebook (i follow back, just let me know your links)


    xoxo;
    What Kenny Hearts a Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job doll!
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that MAC blush is going to suit your complexion perfectly! Looking forward to what you think of the Maleficent palette...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha tax return is always welcome!

    I love love love Aesop, but I haven't tried any of these yet! Modern Mandarin is so you. I've noticed a thing between you and bold blushes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm a sucker for bold blush for sure! And both of these Aesop goodies are so worth trying out :)

      Delete
  6. The Clarins Day Screen is great! You are definitely going to enjoy it! Yorkdale is a great mall to go shopping in Toronto, so many stores...so lots of damage can be made ;)
    <3 Pauline, ­­Addicted to Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always do damage there when I visit! Thanks for stopping by, Pauline :)

      Delete
  7. I love Yorkdale! Such a great mall! Definitely going to have to check out the Aesop Exfoliator! I have their Parsley Seed Cleansing Mask, and absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And the Parsley Seed mask has been on my wishlist for ages :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful review, dear. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. You got awesome products. Loved the mini reviews sweets :-)

    http://naturelbellefemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow brilliant haul, the shade of that blush is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Epic haul, as always :)! That REN cleaner is simply the best!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gita! Glad you're loving it too :)

      Delete
  12. Very cool haul - loving the look of the quad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that blush looks so pretty, tac returns are the best hehe LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goods choices :)
    kiss
    http://retromaggie.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAHA yay for tax returns!
    want to know want you think of the ren!
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I'll be providing a mini review of it in my next post :)

      Delete
  16. So jealous of all your Aesop buys! I want to try that REN cleanser too x

    Josie’s Journal

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my gosh.. I so want to try that MAC blush!! *writing it down*

    ReplyDelete
  18. A tax refund haul right now would do wonders, we haven't "hauled" in a while, dealing with a lot of stuff. That mac blush is eye-catching, we could use it as eye-shadow. Thanks for the review.

    Enjoy the rest of the week!
    xx
    5th&6th

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Mac blush looks gorgeous! And I've had my eyes on the Maleficent quad!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey! I liked your blog's FB page. I'm using Kenneth Manalad on FB, Hope you can like mine too! TIA



    I AM ALSO ON: Instagram @kennydaily, Bloglovin and Facebook (i follow back, just let me know your links)


    xoxo;
    What Kenny Hearts a Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. great choice of blush, looks amazing. please do a review. it seems like it can be used as blush and bronzer.
    xxx
    http://loadsof-joy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to see a review on the Aesop anti-blemish mask!
    xx

    http://mehshake.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll steal the M.A.C blush :) loved the post :)
    www.tinselbabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haul looks great!

    http://thebeautybazaarx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  25. ahh...you are definitely tempting me!!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  26. The MAC Maleficient collection looks so pretty! I can't wait to get my hands on it! Lovely haul :)

    Deb | Debra Bros Blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ayyyyyyy WHERE'S MY TAX RETURN? (Dire need of $$ to keep my bank balance afloat, yo)
    I realise I frequent Yorkdale too much for my own good. Doesn't help that I can walk to the bus stop near my house and it'll take me directly to that mall. Yikes. I JUST LOVE A WELL STOCKED HOLT'S, OK (i.e. Aesop).
    I've been thinking about getting that Chamomile mask for myself actually. Currently in a mask binging phase and I want ALLL the masks!
    I didn't even know they did the parsley seed ingredient for eye products! And I definitely feel ya, I read Coco's post on it too and it's so goshdarn pretty! But, I did swatch it today and a bit iffy on how it looks on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, indeed! I'm lucky that Yorkdale is a bit out of the way... but not too far out ;) I think you'd love the Aesop Blemish mask- it's great! xo

      Delete
  28. I did the same thing with my return - haha! I love the Aesop Parsley Seed Mask - it's been my go-to lately. I want to give that exfoliating paste a go now, too!

    -Jessica
    http://jessicaweingarten.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, that's what tax returns are for, I'm sure :)

      Delete
  29. So many goodies :) I am so excited for the Maleficent movie, I am going opening night! I can't wait to see what looks you put together using that quad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! I haven't seen the movie yet, but am dying to!

      Delete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)