FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Monday 11 January 2016

Look of the Day: Among the Fireflies

Hi, everyone! During my university days about a decade ago, I was a serious regular at the MAC counter. So much so that when I was back at the counter in my hometown for my sister's wedding makeup trial a couple years ago, I was recognized by one of the long-time makeup artists. "I remember you! You used to be here all the time", she exclaimed. I wasn't sure if I should be flattered for being memorable or ashamed for having spent so much of my early 20s there. Maybe both? 

While I'm still a huge MAC devotee, the past several years has seen a lessened interest in being first in line for every single one of their limited edition collections. I mean, they seem to have one nearly every week! That said, I'm always aware of the brand's new releases and once in a while one of their themed collections strikes my fancy. Such was the case with the recent Faerie Whispers collection, which featured a range of shimmering, fiery, earthy shades with a magical, ethereal feel. My inner fairy wanted to play! So I stopped by the MAC counter at Hudson Bay Eaton Centre last week and selected a couple of goodies from the range. They pair wonderfully together so I've decided to feature them here! 


The first product that I knew I wanted from the collection was a lipstick, a true understated beauty. Cremesheen Lipstick in Among the Fireflies is a lovely cocoa brown with a flattering luminous finish. It's unlike anything in my collection and is one of the most wearable browns I've come across! The second item I snagged was the most stunning eye shadow from the release, Foiled Shadow in Faerie Fayre. It's a warm pinky-copper-bronze with an ultra reflective finish. So special! To complement these new goodies, I used several well-loved MAC products as well as a newbie from Becca that has me completely smitten. 

For the eyes, I first shaded the inner and outer corners of the lid with MAC Antiqued eye shadow and defined the crease with a mix of Amber Lights and Patina shadows. I then packed Faerie Fayre (applied damp) to the centre of my lid as well as along the lower lash line. For extra depth, I applied MAC Carbon shadow to the outer portion of the crease and highlighted the inner corners and brow bone with a mix of MAC Retrospeck and Ricepaper shadows. As I wanted this look to be a touch dramatic, I paired the warm metallic shadows with some winged black liner courtesy of MAC Pearlglide Intense Eyeliner in Black Line

For the complexion, I added lots of luminosity with Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal, a creamy liquid highlighter in a beautiful warm, golden hue. It was a Christmas gift from my sister, which makes it extra special! I mixed a touch in with my foundation and then used a stippling brush to add it to the high points of my face for some serious glow. For blush, I wanted my cheeks to mimic the warm, earthy tones of the shadows, so I mixed MAC Satin Blushes in Modern Mandarin and Cantaloupe on the apples, blending upwards.

My pout was of course painted with Among the Fireflies and, for a final touch of light, I patted Faerie Fayre shadow on the centre of my lips. 



Here is a look at MAC Faerie Whispers Cremesheen Lipstick in Among the Fireflies and Foiled Shadow in Faerie Fayre, followed by a full breakdown of everything I used for the look: 


The Breakdown:

Foundation: YSL Fusion Ink Foundation in BR20 Pinky Beige mixed with Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal
Concealer: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer in Light

Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte Long-Wearing Pressed Powder in 011 Creamy Natural (on t-zone) and Alima Pure Satin Finishing Powder in Keiko (lightly all over)

Blush: MAC Satin Blush in Modern Mandarin layered with MAC Satin Blush in Cantaloupe
Contour: NYX Powder Blush in Taupe
Highlighter: Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal

Brows: Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Taupe and Tinted Brow Gel in Caramel

Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion Original
Eye Shadow: MAC Foiled Shadow in Faerie Fayre (on centre of lid and along lower lash line), MAC Eye Shadows in Antiqued (on inner and outer corners of the lids), Amber Lights and Patina (blended into the crease), Carbon (to add depth to the crease and outer corners), and Ricepaper and Retrospeck (mixed and used as a highlight on the brow bones and inner corners of the eye)

Eyeliner: MAC Pearlglide Intense Eyeliner in Black Line
Mascara: The HotShop Long Lash Mascara (from the Born Pretty Store)

Lipstick: MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Among the Fireflies with MAC Foiled Shadow in Faerie Fayre patted in the centre of lips

 

And a few more shots of the look:





I am very happy with my selections from the Faerie Whispers collection and kind of love that they encouraged me to play with very warm, earthy, glowing tones in January. Definitely a fun way to pretend that it's not snowing outside! 

Were you tempted by the Faerie Whispers collection? Are you in tune with all of MAC's new releases? What were your favourite limited edition MAC collections in the past?

Have a fantastic week! xo

                                              Bloglovin'|Facebook|Twitter|Instagram

39 comments:

  1. LOVE this look on you! Wear it every day... it is amazing! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Kat! Both the shadow and the lipstick are totally unique in my collection, so I'm sure I'll be wearing them lots!

      Delete
  2. It's pretty amazing when earthy tones can look so ethereal! You did a great job with this look and I really like that lipstick on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yeah, I don't think of earthy tones when I'm going for something ethereal, but these shades really make it work! :)

      Delete
  3. What a perfect look!! These shades are amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!


    ** I'm inviting you to join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!


    NEW POST: Ever Bilena Advance Blush and Bronzer Duo Palette Review and Swatches

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a natural and flattering look on you! and hahah about being recognized. i don't think i've only managed that at clothing stores so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, guess I'm a local celebrity at the MAC counter ;) Thanks, dude!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, lady! It takes a gorgeous lady to know one :)

      Delete
  7. I LOVE this look! Your face is glowing and flawless, also your eye makeup is how I like my eye makeup. I am not sure about the lipstick tho, I am just not really into brown lips but it suits you :) x

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ela! I'm skeptical about brown lipstick too, but this one really works :)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous look! I love the shade! I haven't seen that one from MAC but it's perfect for winter! It looks great on you as well!

    Shannon Sage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shannon! The Faerie Whispers collection has so many unique, beautiful shades!

      Delete
  9. As I said, you look like s stunning bronze goddess! I'm never one who goes gaga over MAC collection but maybe I don't know what I'm missing out on? LOL!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Shireen! Once in a while a new MAC collection really knocks it out of the park :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful

    FOLLOW my Blog!!! Maybe we can follow each other!!!
    www.rimanerenellamemoria.de

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sultry look! Once again, nice choice of lip colour!

    xo Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Kat! This lipstick instantly became one of my faves :)

      Delete
  12. Your so beautiful dear, this makeup look match you perfectly!

    www.brooklynglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's actually so cute the person remembered you! haha
    I remember wanting to actually be remembered but I never actually went that often. I just wanted to. haha
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I was a pretty regular customer! ;)

      Delete
  14. Love the look! That eyeshadow looks absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great! Have a nice evening :) http://fabricandcolor.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. amazing makeup! :) http://www.alovelystyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the entire look, especially the lip colour. I am a big fan of MAC lipsticks. My wedding lipstick is from Mac. It is called Half n Half. It is still one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, nice pick! Half n Half is a perfect shade for you :) Thanks, Charissa! xo

      Delete
  18. Thanks, Hilary! I'll stop by your blog for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)