FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Saturday 16 November 2013

Face of the Day: New to Naked #1

Happy weekend, everyone! If you saw my last post, you'll know that I finally have the Urban Decay Naked Palette in my clutches. I'd been putting off buying it forever, mainly because I knew I'd be so in love with it (have been using UD eye shadows for almost 15 years) that it would cause me to shun all of the other palettes in my collection. I finally realized it was worth the risk, and I snatched it up during Sephora's recent VIB sale.

Because the palette is so universally known and extensively reviewed, I thought that rather than swatching and describing the palette, I'd do a series of "Face of the Day" posts to demonstrate the multitude of looks this palette can create. So here's my first!


For my first go at the palette (yes, you're really seeing my very first time using Naked!), I opted for some of the softer shades it has to offer. I went for a combination of matte and shimmery hues to create a bit of a contrast in textures. First, I applied Naked, a matte nude brown shade all over my lid. I then applied Buck, a warm matte butterscotch shade to the crease. To add some interest, I added a bit of Sin, a shimmery pinky champagne, to the centre of my lid, and Virgin, a shimmery ivory, as a highlight on my brow bone and the inner corners of my eye.

Here's what it looked like! And please excuse the patchy eyebrow ;)


To contrast the warm, neutral eye, I used a warm, matte pinky coral blush (one of my all-time most loved, Make Up For Ever's Powder Blush #74) and a matte brownish-mauve lip colour, the amazing Armani Lip Maestro #501. I find that this lip shade adds the perfect amount of colour and warmth to the face with an almost '90s feel, which I love! Plus it leaves a sophisticated matte finish, which I find ultra-flattering and perfect for work.

So here's a shot of the completed look:



And a shot of the palette, marking the specific shades that I used. Thanks to Paint for the incredible graphics! ;)

Shades used for this look: Virgin, Sin, Naked, and Buck


 
Here's the full breakdown of everything I used!

The Breakdown:

F
oundation: Revlon ColourStay Whipped Crème Foundation in Buff
Concealer: BeneFit Fake-Up in Light (under eyes) and MAC Select Cover-Up in NC20 (on blemishes)
Powder: MAC Blot Powder in Medium
Bronzer: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light
Blush: Make Up For Ever Powder Blush #74

Brows: Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Ash Blonde and Tinted Brow Gel in Caramel
Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original
Eye Shadows: Urban Decay Naked Palette using Naked (all over lid), Buck (in crease), Sin (on centre of lid) and Virgin (on brow bone and inner corners of the eye)
Eyeliner: Tarte smolderEyes Clay Liner in Brown
Mascara: Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara in Black

Lips: Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro Matte Lacquer in #501
 
And a few more shots of the look:





And that's it! My first experience with the Naked Palette was, as predicted, a total pleasure! I normally shy away from matte-finish eye shadows, but the matte shades in this palette were extremely flattering and wearable, so I'll definitely be reaching for them often!

Stay tuned for some more looks using the palette- can't wait to see what else this baby can do! :)

What are some of your favourite shade combinations using the Naked Palette? Anyone else delay buying it, only to fall in love with it later?

Have a great weekend and thanks for reading! xo

38 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks beautifully natural on you! I actually use the very same look, but on my complexion it looks a little darker, so it doesn't suit me as well as you!
    May I suggest you the combo half baked + darkhorse? Yesterday I really enjoyed another one with sin in the first half of my lid, toasted in the second one and hustle in the outer crease, blended out with naked, while virgin was (obviously) used as highlight in the inner corner and under the brow.
    Hope you'll find other interesting combinations with this little baby!
    Have a nice weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for all of the look ideas, Hikaru! So nice of you to share :)

      Delete
  2. I love how you always achieve that fresh and even-toned skin. Gorgeous, Jen :)!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice make up look, I really like the lip shade it's very natural and soo pretty xx

    www.lam-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard so many good things about this palette and I'm really trying to branch out make up wise so definitely want to invest in this. Looks like you could achieve a lot of different of looks. Love what you've done here and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth the investment. Thanks, Izzy! :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Buck is my favorite color from the palette xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Coco! Never thought I'd like a plain, matte brown that much, but it's great! xo

      Delete
  6. I love this look, it's really elegant and looks nice on you! It's quite a shame this product is expensive, because it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deborah! It's definitely a bit of an investment, but it's so versatile, I find it's totally worth it! :)

      Delete
  7. wowwww pretty
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a few Urban Decay products and palettes but not the Naked 1 or 2, I dont know why i never got them actually.. cause they are so pretty x !

    http://holaflo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! But I'd put off getting them for so long too- but this was worth the wait! xo

      Delete
  9. I love how soft this look is! I look forward to seeing what else you do with the palette. Love the matte lips!!

    nentasfrivolity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ingrid! The Lip Maestros are such a nice matte formula :)

      Delete
  10. This is a gorgeous look! I don't have the Naked palette, but just picked up the Naked 2 during the VIB sale. I'm looking forward to trying it out, but I'm new to eyeshadow (can't believe I went this long without using it, but I wear glasses and have always been unsure of how to make it work) so I'm not sure how to start. Look forward to seeing what else you come up with from this palette. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darci! The Naked2 palette is a great place to start with eye shadow! xo

      Delete
  11. Congrats on your new purchase, you look great!
    I love Smog on the lid blended with some Buck through the crease its my lazy day smokey eye!
    TarteTanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Will have to try this combo out! xo

      Delete
  12. Perfect naturals from this palette. Lovely makeup as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one successful look if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing palette!
    Looks very natural and lovely, not too much which is great.

    { Teffys Perks Blog } X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teffy! Nice of you to stop by :)

      Delete
  15. very pretty natural look! love the blush!

    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jenn! The blush is one of my faves :)

      Delete
  16. That is the kind of eye makeup I usually do with my Naked palette on a day to day basis, looks pretty everytime and on everyone :) you are going looove it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why this is your go-to look! It's simple to create, but has a soft, wearable effect. I really am loving the palette so far :)

      Delete
  17. Been wearing this constantly lately, especially great with a dark lip. Always nice to see posts like this to get ideas from the Naked palette--I seem to get stuck! xx

    elliesvanitytable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been super fun experimenting with the palette. So happy I finally picked it up! xo

      Delete
  18. Thanks so much for the nomination, Tasha! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, nice post. This is an interesting and very informative topic. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
    face forward

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)