FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Friday 5 December 2014

Look of the Day: Black Honey #2

Friday, Friday, Look of the Day on Friday... Sorry, I'm a bit excited that it's the weekend ;) Not only am I celebrating some impending relaxation, I'm also showing more love to a gorgeous palette that's caught my heart. If you saw yesterday's post (yes, I've been trying to post daily!), you will have seen the first look in a series demonstrating the pure loveliness of the Clinique A Black Honey Affair All About Shadow Palette. As I've said, the palette offers a unique and beautiful mix of neutral and purple shades, all of which are perfectly pigmented and compliment my brown eyes quite well. Yesterday's look featured a softer, more shimmery look with a pop of violet, while today's installment is a bit deeper and smokier. 


This time around, I decided to keep the skin looking fresh and dewy. I reached for Face Atelier Ultra Foundation #1, which gives amazing coverage while imparting a true, skin-like finish. It's fantastic stuff! I added some extra glow with  RMS Living Luminizer and warmed the apples of my cheeks with FLOWER Beauty's Kiss Me Twice Lip & Cheek Chubby in Rosie Posie. I actually skipped powder for once in my life for an extra luminous look. 

Believe it or not, this lipstick fiend doesn't own the actual Clinique Black Honey Almost Lipstick, so I opted for a similarly toned lip shade from the brand. I grabbed Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Roundest Raspberry and topped it with Illamasqua Intense Lip Gloss in Fierce, a super fun grape shade. 



The eye look posed a bit of a challenge, as I wanted to utilize the three shades not reached for in yesterday's look. Problem was, they were all totally different! There was Black Honey, an ultra warm copper, Lavender Out Loud, a cool, pale lilac, and Graphite, a deep cool grey. I did my best to combine them in a way that worked, and it think it turned out pretty well!

I started by sweeping Black Honey all over the lid, blending up to the crease. I then applied Lavender Out Loud in the crease, sweeping upwards. Next, I smudged some of Graphite on the outer halves of my upper and lower lash lines and a pop of Lavender Out Loud underneath as well. I finished off with touches of Sugar Cane on my brow bones and inner corners of the eye, and a bold purple liner, Urban Decay 24/7 in Ransom, for some extra contrast. 

Here's a closeup:


And a peek at the shades that went into this look:



The Breakdown:

Foundation: Face Atelier Ultra Foundation in #1 Porcelain
Concealer: BeneFit Fake-Up in Light (under eyes) and MAC Select Cover-Up NC20 (on blemishes and redness)

Highlight: RMS Living Luminizer

Blush: FLOWER Beauty Kiss Me Twice Lip & Cheek Chubby in Rosie Posie


Brows: Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Taupe and Tinted Brow Gel in Caramel
Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion Original Formula
Eye Shadows: (from the Clinique A Black Honey Affair palette): All About Shadow in Black Honey (all over lid, blended up to the crease), Lilac Out Loud (in the crease and inner half of lower lash line), Graphite (on outer half of upper and lower lash lines) and Sugar Cane (as a highlight on brow bone and inner corners of the eye)

Eyeliner: Urban Decay 24/7 in Ransom
Mascara: Clinique High Impact Mascara in Black

Lips: 
Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Roundest Raspberry topped with Illamasqua Intense Lip Gloss in Fierce

And a couple more shots of the look:




I'm always excited to make seemingly discordant shades meld together, so I can deem this look a success! Lilac and copper are wolds apart, yet they worked to create a perfect contrast here. I'll certainly be pairing them again!

My first uses of the A Black Honey Affair Palette confirmed my initial impressions- this palette is a total keeper! There's not a weak shade in the bunch, and they can honestly be used to create any kind of look, from subtle, to smokey, to vivid. This is an affair that I want to scream about from the rooftops! 

Does the A Black Honey Affair shade selection appeal to you? What are your favourite unexpected colour combinations?

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend! xo

17 comments:

  1. I actually really like how the eyes came out! The purple round the edge is amazing!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tasha! I was happy with it too :)

      Delete
  2. Love it! This is such a bold look that doesn't scream COLOR. Totally wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a colour full look! I would never have thought mixing these shades together but it works pretty well.

    Alexandra
    Glam O’Clock | TOO FACED GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the colors! so gorgeous!
    Happy weekend to you!
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your eye makeup is so pretty! It actually reminds me of your blog's background lolz. That lip color is gorgeous too!

    www.kfclovesyou.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good call! It does match pretty well :) Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I'm loving the shadow colours. The mix of the copper and purple shades look so pretty together. Happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Megan! Was really happy with how the combo worked out :)

      Delete
  7. This is definitely more dramatic than yesterday, and you wear it well! I like how you paired it with this particular lip combo as well! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sunny! It was a fun combo of shades to play with :)

      Delete
  8. Love love love the eyeshadow - I like the overall color combo! You are so good at this (:

    - Deniz
    www.dressedupdeniz.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely would not have looked at that palette and thought of making a look like that, you're so creative. It's absolutely beautiful!

    Rebecca | morerebe.com

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)