Shimmer Cubes have been a perennial staple in The Body Shop's makeup line, but none has ever graced my collection. It was a Spring Makeup video from Ruth at A Model Recommends that convinced me that I needed this one in my life. So glad I was swayed!
Shimmer Cubes Palettes come in (appropriately) square-shaped plastic cases that include four separate cubes of (again, appropriately) shimmery colour. Here's a look at #30 in the sunlight:
The four shades included are Rich Espresso (a deep, neutral shimmery brown), Burnished Gold (a warm, slightly green-tinged mid-tone gold), Dusty Fawn (a shimmery yellowed ivory), and Warm Copper (a bold orange with copper and bronze undertones).
As for the packaging, it takes a bit of fiddling, but is so worth it! For this reason, Ruth at A Model Recommends dubbed this "the cube of great frustration and eventual delight". A wittily apt moniker!
When you remove the plastic lid of the palette, you'll see that each individual shade also has a little lid. This is because the formula is quite shimmery and, left uncapped, the shadows could easily make quite a mess!
Upon removing each little lid, the actual product is revealed. Like my artistic arrangement? ;)
Here are swatches of all four of the shades on my inner arm (MAC NC15 skin tone). I swatched them quite heavily with a dry, dense brush (they can also be used wet for more intensity):
|The Body Shop Spring Bronze Shimmer Cubes swatches (L-R): Dusty Fawn, Burnished Gold, Warm Copper, Rich Espresso|
And here's a look I created with the palette! I applied Dusty Fawn all over the lid up to the brown bone and on the inner corners of the eyes as a highlight. I then applied Burnished Gold all over the lid to add some warmth. Next, I popped Warm Copper on the outer half of my lid for a flash of vibrant colour. Finally, I applied Rich Espresso to the crease for some depth and definition. I must say, the shades worked perfectly together!
And here it is, in the context of an entire makeup look:
As always, the title of this post has given away just how tickled I am with this product, but here is a full breakdown of the ups and downs of The Body Shop Spring Bronze Shimmer Cubes Palette:
- Perfectly coordinated shades, especially suited to Spring and Summer
- Can be applied sheer or built up for a bolder colour payoff
- Fairly intense shimmer, but not over-the-top glittery
- Long-wearing formula- this look really lasted all day!
- Despite the powdery, shimmery texture, there was very minimal fallout from these shadows. My cheeks were spared from piles of sparkles!
- At just over $20, this isn't a steal, but is far from a splurge. A great value, in my opinion!
- Cute, compact packaging
- Cruelty-free, which is always a huge plus in my books!
- As noted, the packaging might be a bit tedious to use (but is actually quite functional, as it prevents the shimmer from getting everywhere!)
- Not the best choice for those who like instantly pigmented shadows. You really have to layer these to get a strong colour payoff!
- As the name suggests, these are very shimmery, so not a good option for those who prefer a matte finish.
There you have it! Products like these make me so happy that I have re-kindled my love affair with The Body Shop. I can see myself reaching for this palette pretty constantly over the Spring and Summer, especially on the weekends when some colour and glimmer are in order!
Are the shades in this palette up your alley? Have you ever tried Shimmer Cubes Palettes from The Body Shop?
Thanks for reading, and don't forget you can enter my 350 Follower Giveaway, HERE!
Have a great weekend! xo