Hi, everyone! It's time for the first installment of my 2014 Beauty Resolutions series- and this one's a biggie. Yes, professing my resolutions earlier this month might have been more appropriate, but better late than never, I say! I've deemed this resolution a big one because it relates to my enormous stash of lip products (and my desire to prevent it from completely overtaking me!).
Beauty Resolution #1: Don't buy any new lip products in 2014!
Yes, you heard right. This self-professed beauty junkie and lipstick hoarder is attempting to banish all new lip purchases until 2015. Will it be difficult? Insanely! Will it be worthwhile? Most definitely! Last week I gathered my entire stash of lip products and arranged them by brand and product type. The result was this slice of makeup heaven:
While it really was a thing of beauty to see them all proudly on display, the size of my collection really struck me. Expanding it further would be ludicrous, I thought! Most of all, I really want to love, cherish, and enjoy (I truly am a lipstick freak) the beautiful goodies that I have, rather than quickly tossing them aside for new whims and unneeded additions. I like the idea that my collection, though enormous, will be finite, organized and well-used. So that is the plan!
Before I lay down the guidelines for this resolution, let me give you a quick tour of my stash.
The first shot features some of my lip glosses (you can see that I like fuchsia!). I don't have a ton of glosses, but have offerings from a variety of brands like Korres, Revlon, NARS, Becca, and Julep. This shot also features my hefty collection of Revlon Lacquer Balms, Matte Balms, and Kissable Balm Stains.
The second shot features the rest of my glosses (including offerings from Buxom, Chanel, and Bourjois), as well as the rest of my lip pencil stash. Aside from Revlon, I'm also a huge supporter of Clinique, Hard Candy, NYX, and NARS when it comes to the chubby pencil craze!
The next shot once again features my Revlon pencils, as well as my collection of NARS lipsticks and Revlon ColourBurst Lip Butters (do you notice a Revlon trend here?).
This shot features the rest of my Lip Butters, as well as luxurious lipsticks from Guerlain and Hourglass:
Then we have the first half of my MAC lipstick collection (the next most populous after Revlon!) and some other high-end lovelies from YSL, Chanel, and Paul & Joe:
Here we have the rest of my MAC lippies and some super fancy offerings from Clio, Tom Ford, Chantecaille, Daniel Sandler, and Dior:
The next shot features some of my favourite drugstore lipsticks from Revlon (yes, even more of them!), Milani, Wet N' Wild, and Hard Candy. It also highlights some of my lip stains from Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, YSL, and Giorgio Armani:
And for the final section of my stash, we have some lippies from NYX, Boots No7, Mark, and Clinique (those mint green GWP tubes are classic!) as well as my Hourglass lip stain and glosses from Clinique, and Marc Jacobs:
So there you have it! Every shot above makes me realize what a crazy, exciting, and beautiful lip product collection I have. This year will be a time to savour it! Here are the official guidelines for the resolution:
1) I am on a waitlist for a Tom Ford Lip Colour in Indian Rose. As soon as this comes in, I will snag it up. It will officially be my last lip purchase of the year. Why not go out with a luxurious bang!?
2) I will not purchase any new lipsticks, glosses, stains, lacquers, tars, etc. until 2015. Eek!
3) I will not use my Shoppers Optimum points to get free lipsticks (since free lipstick is still adding to my stash!). I will also not swap for any new lip colours.
4) I will not persuade my sister, parents, boyfriend, or any other well-meaning loved ones to buy me lipsticks for my birthday or Christmas (though if they do so of their own free will, I will not deny them their generosity ;))
5) I can get a new lipstick via Back2MAC, but only if I am trading in at least one empty lipstick tube in the process.
6) I will not replace any lipsticks that I've used up- really, I have so many dupes in my stash and the more I use up, the more attention I can pay to others!
7) I aim to finish up at least 10 lip products over the course of the year. That may not sound like a lot, but I know I haven't finished a single one in over 6 months, so I think that's a fair goal!
And there you have it! I'm really doing this, guys. Please wish me luck! I'm hoping to provide updates along the way and would love your support and encouragement :)
Have you ever attempted a no-buy like this? Ever tried to downsize your stash?
Also, if you have any questions about any of the specific products in my collection pics above, feel free to ask!
Thanks for reading! xo