FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Sunday 21 October 2012

Beauty Flashback: 90s Salon Sign (Perms Galore!)

Hi, everyone! Here's a quick, fun post for your Sunday night. Today I passed a small local salon (probably for the millionth time) and finally took the 30 seconds required to snap a photo of their sign out front:


I'm always amazed when salons don't update the photos in their windows, and this one is no exception! Judging by the blunt, voluminous, permed bobs and the heavy brows, I'm guessing this sign hails from the early '90s. It's amazing that an image that must have screamed glamour and sophistication 20 years ago now looks so out of date and even humorous (ok, but still a bit glamourous ;). 

Signs like this lead to daydreams of what I would have looked like if I had been a grown woman during that era. Would I have sported a short, fluffy perm with gusto as these lovely ladies are? Would I have marveled at how the volume in my hair was second only to the magnitude of my shoulder pads? I do remember really wanting a perm in grade 3 (who didn't want to look like Mariah Carey in 1992? Or was that just me... :/), but luckily my wise parents dissuaded me. 

While I question how such antiquated signs can draw in new business, I'm glad that so many remain. They always give me a smile and warm my nostalgia-prone heart.  And who knows? Maybe one day I'll be inspired to go in and ask for the Melrose Place special #2 ;)

Do any of you have favourite signs like this?

17 comments:

  1. Nowadays, I still see ladies having that kind of hairstyle and it was just so cute. Those ladies on the picture are so pretty. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture just takes me back. I was a little kid in the 90's but I remember seeing those posters in salon's all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely brings out a feeling of nostalgia in me too :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Those ladies look stunning, but we really think salons should move with the trend. We're sure some people get discouraged, and won't go in coz of the outdated poster.

    xx
    5th&6th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- it's a beautiful photo to look at, but probably not great for business! Thanks for reading, ladies :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much, Sara, for reading and for following! I'll check out your blog soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, you mean those hairstyles aren't in anymore?!
    I kid, I kid...really though, why don't they update those signs!?
    Isn’t That Charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I really love and hate that they don't change the signs. Still very amusing! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  6. Isn't nostalgia the best? And I've wanted a perm for forever. I may or may not still want one.

    Shh.

    That's so funny that they "updated" their pic with a flashback - but I think vintage is always in, so you can't really go wrong.

    -Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalgia really is the best! And it's never too late for a perm :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. I love permed hairstyles, they look good on people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely- some people can really pull them off. Just not me ;) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. I'd love to have a curly bob, actually! I like the girl on the right, with the scarf.

    And aren't the 90's "back," in terms of fashion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you could definitely rock a perm like that! Just not my style ;) And yeah, the '90s are totally everywhere, especially at some of my local vintage shops. It's like a My So-Called life wardrobe closet in there!

      Delete
    2. This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. Thank you for sharing...........



      Temecula Beauty Salons

      Delete
  9. hello! I know this is an old post, and it doesn't appear that you've posted since last year, but I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the salon where this artwork was found?

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)