FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Friday 6 May 2011

Photo Tutorial: Vibrant, Retro look inspired by Kate Hudson in In Style


Of all the images in this month's In Style magazine, the one that inspired me most was the photo above of Kate Hudson. The makeup look is definitely bold and vibrant, and it is also extremely creative, with a retro touch. Seemingly inspired by both 70s excess and 80s punk, this look features nearly every colour of the rainbow, yet is somehow wearable on the fair-skinned Kate. Because this look appealed to me so much, I thought I'd try it out for myself! Here's the finished look:




Step 1: Base products and eyebrows
I started out with all of my basic base products: foundation, concealer, and powder, to create a bare canvas. I defined my sparse brows with Anastasia Brow Powder duo in Ash Blonde.

MAC Careblend Powder in Light Plus, Revlon ColourStay foundation in #150 Buff, MAC Pro Longwear concealer in NC20, Anastasia Brow Powder duo in Ash Blonde

Step 2: Contour cheeks with blush
To replicate Kate's deep, sculpted cheeks, I contoured my cheeks with MAC's blush in Sunbasque (pictured later in the tutorial). I applied it to the cheekbone and just underneath, then blended it into the hairline.


Cheeks contoured with MAC Sunbasque blush

And here are the main eye products that I used for the look:


MAC eyeshadow in Firespot and Pigments in Violet and Melon

MAC Holiday eyeshadow palette (from years ago, but it's still one of my faves!) and Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes waterproof eyeliner in 11L

Step 3: Add Colour to the Inner Corner and Crease
Next, I applied the greenish-gold colour from the palette (MAC eyeshadow in Gorgeous Gold, available at MAC counters) to the inner corner of my eye, almost up to the brow. Then I applied MAC Melon pigment, a gorgeous peachy-gold shade to the crease, on the inner 2/3 of the eye. Here's what it looked like at this stage:





Step 4: Intensify the peachy orange shade
Next, I applied MAC Firespot eyeshadow to the crease, blending into the Melon pigment and slightly up and out.




Step 5: Create an outline for the purple shadow
In order to create a guide for the extended purple portion of the eyeshadow, I drew an extended line using Make Up For Ever's Aqua Eyes liner in 11L, an eggplant colour. It looks silly at this stage, but you'll be layering it with shadow afterwards, so don't worry!



Step 6: Layer on Purple Shadow
Using the liner as a guide, I applied MAC Pigment in Violet on the outer corner of the eye, extending up towards the end of my eyebrow. Using a thin shadow brush, I also applied some of the Violet pigment on my lower lashline:





Step 7: Intensify the Purple Shade
Next, to darken the purple, I applied the bluish-purple shade from the MAC palette over the Violet Pigment and blended it into the outer crease, just to where the MAC Firespot ended:






Step 8: Black Liner
Next, I applied some black liquid liner (Revlon Colourstay liquid liner pen in black) to the top and bottom lashlines (pictured above).

And here are some of the other products used in this tutorial:


MAC Blush in Sunbasque, Clinique High Impact Mascara, Urban Decay Primer Potion, which really makes eyeshadow look more vibrant and last all day!

Step 9:  Mascara
Next I applied black  mascara to finish off the eye look:


Finished eye look- open and closed!



Step 10 (the final step, I promise!): Lipliner and Lipstick
To copy Kate's deep, warm red lip, I first lined my lips with Clinique's Quickliner for Lips in Deep Red. Next, I applied Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick in Lover, one of my favourite reds. Finally to warm up the lip shade, I applied a shimmery bronze lipstick, Lancome lipstick in Luxe, over top. Here they are:


Lancome lipstick in Luxe (L) and Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick in Lover (R)

And here's the final look! Really happy with how it turned out. Except for the fact that my shots at dramatic posing look a lot more dorky than model-esque, but I guess that sums me up! :) Thanks so much for reading, everyone!!


The final look!!



5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I think you should definitely wear that out on the town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was thinking about wearing it out to the grocery store, but thought it would be a little much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, you did a great job of creating the same look as the magazine and explaining the process. Such talent and creativity! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It looks so much fun and is crazy accurate to what Kate is wearing! I am just going through some of your older posts now Jen and loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marvelle! It's always so nice to hear that people are going back and reading older posts. My readership was pretty small when I wrote this post, so glad it still has an audience now :)

      Delete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)