FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Thursday 9 June 2011

Veracious Product Review: Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream

So, as I've previously  mentioned, a recent beauty craze that I've bought into is that of the BB Cream: a fascinating skincare/foundation hybrid that has become a staple in Asian cosmetics line. Here's a link to my initial article on BB creams: http://vibrantbeautyblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-heck-is-bb-cream.html

After trying several formulas, I can say that my favourite so far is Missha's Perfect Cover BB Cream ($30 CAD). Missha is a popular Korean skincare and cosmetics line, and their Perfect Cover BB is supposedly their #1 selling product. And I can see why! It offers fantastic, long-wearing coverage that is non-oily and contains an SPF of 42. What more could I ask for?

I purchased it a couple months ago at a makeup counter at the Chinatown Centre (222 Spadina Ave., at Sullivan St.) located in (where else?) Chinatown, in Toronto. The booth is called Cathy Phuong Beauty Skincare & Cosmetic (Tel: 416-880-3678) and offers a wide range of gorgeous Asian cosmetics, high-end skin care, and about 20 different BB creams to choose from! Cathy is an extremely friendly and helpful lady, and I'm so happy she helped me choose Missha's Perfect Cover.

Here's a picture of it:

My Favourite BB Cream of all: Missha Perfect Cover

As the label describes (in not-so-perfect English), this formula offers skin-brightening, wrinkle reduction, coverage of blemishes, and the prevention of aging. Because I haven't used this on a regular basis, I can't really speak to any long term effects in terms of brightenting or anti-aging results (maybe in a later review!). I can say, however, that this product gives flawless coverage that is very natural looking. It's also quite long-wearing, especially when topped with a mattifying powder, like MAC Blot Powder ($27.50 CAD, at MAC stores and counters). I wore it earlier this week when the temperature topped 40 degrees. I came home expecting to see an oily, melty face in the mirror, but amazingly the BB cream was still intact. Amazing!

I purchased a large tube in shade #21, which is an excellent match for my NC20 skintone. It's not as pink-based as many other BB creams, but is not too yellow either. I also received a mini tube of shade #23, which is slightly darker, most likely suitable for skintones in the NC30 range. I thought that I could mix a small amount of #23 in with the #21 if my face tans at all during the summer. Handy!

Here are swatches of the two shades on my forearm (which is paler than my face, about NC15):

Missha Perfect Cover #21 (L) and #23 (R)

#21 (L) and #23 (R)

Almost nearly blended in (against my inner arm, which is about a MAC NC15 skintone): #21 (L) and #23 (R)

And here (the true test!) are some before and after pics using Missha's Perfect Cover. I took these pictures a couple of months ago when my skin was particularly broken out and irritated. Sharing these pictures with the world isn't my favourite thing, but I think they truly demonstrate what awesome coverage this BB cream gives. As you can see, it doesn't cover all redness (so small amounts of concealer are needed over top), but it comes close!

BEFORE Perfect Cover (Natural Light)

BEFORE Perfect Cover (Artificial bathroom light)

AFTER Perfect Cover (Natural Light)

AFTER Perfect Cover (Artificial bathroom light)

So, here's my final wrap-up of this product:

 Pros:
  • Comes in multiple shades, unlike many BB Creams, and shade #21 is a near-perfect match for my NC20 skintone
  • Offers a "whitening" or "brightening" effect without the pinkish-grey cast that many BB creams have
  • Quick, easy, smooth application
  • Long-wearing even during warm, humid weather (as long as you top it with powder)
  • Provides flawless moderate, buildable coverage, but looks quite natural
  • SPF42!
  • Doubles as a moisturizer (for those with oilier skin)
  • Doesn't aggravate breakouts
  • Likely suitable for most skintypes
  • Missha claims to be cruelty-free, which is not true of many Asian skincare lines
Cons:
  • Takes a while to set on my combination/oily skin, so have to be patient before applying powder! (this may not be an issue if you have dry skin or prefer a dewier finish)
  • Causes some minimal pore-clogging, so wouldn't wear every day
  • Doesn't offer an option for skintones darker than about NC30-35
  • Limited availability

Hopefully this review was helpful! Let me know if you have any questions :)

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm glad you found a BB cream that works for you coverage-wise and actually lasts! I love the befores and afters too! It really helps us ladies ascertain just what type of difference a good foundation (or BB cream) can make in the appearance of our skin!

    I'm still loving my Skinfood Red Bean BB cream, although it might be too light and hydrating for the summer. I picked up Clinique's new Moisture Surge tinted moisturizer to use in hotter weather.

    Thanks for keeping us updated on the BB cream trend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the review, Sheri! And thanks for introducing me to BB Creams in the first place :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I forgot to mention that Perfect Cover also comes in an even lighter shade (#13) for super fair-skinned gals. It's probably equivalent to a MAC NC/NW10-15 skintone.

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)