FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Thursday 10 November 2016

Getting Intense with MAC Liptensity!

Hi, everyone! If we don't need a bit of colour in our life after this week's election, then when do we, eh? I have today a review that's well overdue- a new limited edition MAC lipstick release that was one of the collections that most tempted me from the brand this year. It's the colourful, saturated beauty that is MAC Liptensity


MAC Liptensity Lipsticks ($21 USD/$25 CAD) were released in September and include an impressive range of 24 shades. They are slightly more expensive that a typical MAC Lipstick, but also offer more product (3.6g vs 3g net weight).

The imagery from the collection is what first caught my attention- I mean, look at those colours and that stunning satin finish! 


Here's what MAC had to say about the release: 

"Liptensity Lipstick pushes the boundaries of colour. With the expertise of tetrachromat Maureen Seaberg- who has the genetic ability to see up to 100 million hues imperceptible to the average naked eye- MAC has created an unprecedented spectrum of 24 shades with extreme, undeniable colour intensity, using our groundbreaking High-Frequentcy Tetrachromatic Pigments technology"

What a neat concept that the line was created in collaboration with someone with super sophisticated colour perception?! And the promise of high pigment, intense colour pay-off is also a huge drawing point. On their website, MAC also promises that the Liptensity lippies offer clear, true colour, a rich gel-based formula that melts into lips, and a flattering satin finish. 


I first got to play with the Liptensity range that this year's IMATS, shortly after their release. I was nearly overwhelmed by the display- so many bold, stunning colours! I went to town with swatching and boy was it difficult to narrow down my picks. In the end, I opted for three shades, each quite different from one another.

 The MAC Liptensity Lipsticks are packaged not with the brand's typical black bullet-shaped tubes, but rather in cylindrical tubes in hues that match the shade inside. I quite like the look of it! 




The three shades I selected were:

Galaxy Grey- a "light bluish grey"
Driftwood- a "soft lilac beige"
Mulling Spices- a "burgundy brown-red"

Here they are in their stunning colour-coordinated tubes: 


The shape of the lipstick bullets is also different for the Liptensity range- they are rounded and flattened rather than angled and pointed. I bit trickier for detail work in the corners of the lips, but it does aid in the quick, bold application of colour! 



Here are swatches of the shades I chose. As you can see, they offer rich pigment and a soft, satiny shine. The two swatches on the left (Galaxy Grey and Driftwood) look a bit patchy on my arm; luckily, this does not translate on the lips (as you'll see below)!

MAC Liptensity Swatches (L-R): Galaxy Grey, Driftwood, Mulling Spices

And here are each of the lipsticks on my lips! 


Galaxy Grey is one of those shades you'd expect to be totally unflattering, but it somehow works so nicely! There is just enough pink (though only a tiny hint) in the shade to keep it looking bright and fresh, rather than succumbing to the deadness of the grey tones. Especially if paired with brighter rosy blush, it's quite cute and definitely unique! 



Driftwood is such a unique, pretty nude. Just as MAC describes, it definitely has lilac undertones that gives it something special. I love that it's not too pale, not too brown, and that the purple tinges are just this side of wearable. I do think this is a shade that also has to be worn with fresh, lively cheeks and eyes, though, as I paired it with red-toned eye shadow one day and did look a bit washed out. 



To finish things off, Mulling Spices is one of the prettiest bold reds I've found! It's rich, pigmented, and draws its deepness from subtle blue and brown tones that give it a retro, sophisticated feel. It's definitely the most classic, wearable of the three and I'm sure I will be wearing it tons around the holidays. The brown undertones also make it just muted enough (not too bright, not too vampy) that I can wear it to work as well. It's super versatile! 

Overall, I am way impressed with this lipstick launch. It offers unique shades I've never seen before from lipstick, features so many of the bold shades that I love, but fab options for those who prefer nudes and neutrals, and the creamy, satiny texture is so beautiful on the lips. The intense pigmentation means a little goes a long way and, despite the the creamy texture, the high saturation means that the colour lingers quite nicely. All that to say, the formula is super comfortable and the wear time is impressive! 

I really hope that the Liptensity Lipsticks remain a permanent offering from MAC, but if the press release remains current, these beautiful lippies will only be in stores for another week- so snag them while you can!

Were you also tempted by the Liptensity range? Favourite lipstick formula at the moment?

Thanks so much for stopping by! xo

                                          Bloglovin'|Facebook|Twitter|Instagram

21 comments:

  1. I would never think that I could wear a shade like Galaxy Grey. but it looks great on you - as do the other shades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Renee! Galaxy Grey is surprisingly wearable! :)

      Delete
  2. I like that MAC changed the packaging with these. My biggest complaint is I never know what shade I'm reaching for in my collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, exactly! Takes a lot of the guesswork out :)

      Delete
  3. These look incredible!! I love the packaging and how Driftwood looks on you! It looks super comfortable on the lips and I'm in love with the formula!

    Stephanie | theFantasia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The formula really is lovely! I think you'd totally love Driftwood :)

      Delete
  4. I love this MAC lip tensity lipsticks. Love the bold red shade.
    http://tipsoye.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red really is beautiful! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. Mulling Spices is beautiful on you! Driftwood is my kind of shade xx

    Beautylymin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's such a stunning red. I think you'd love Driftwood :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It really is a stunning, unique nude shade! :)

      Delete
  7. I was thinking about getting Smoked Almond but Driftwood is also really nice, it seems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoked Almond is also gorgeous! But yeah, Driftwood is so unique and special :)

      Delete
  8. I purchased a couple of these. I didn't realize they were limited edition. Those colors look great on you.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were introduced as LE, but I'm hoping they stick around! Thanks, Kim! ox

      Delete
  9. I wasn't sure about Galaxy Grey but it's surprisingly stunning and very wearable. I'll need to swatch it first to see how it fares against my skin tone but it's beautiful on you.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so surprisingly wearable! Definitely worth a swatch :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, Kenny! xo

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)