The Velvetines come in shiny red boxes adorned with roses and the Lime Crime logo. The full ingredients are also listed, which is always appreciated!
The lip colours are packaged in frosty glass tubes with red lids, similarly decorated with roses. On the very top is Lime Crime's signature unicorn logo, which is a nice touch! In terms of size, they are about half-way between the length of a MAC Lipglass and a Chanel Glossimer. Hope those are handy reference points!
The first shade I chose was Wicked, which Lime Crime describes as a "matte burgundy red". I'd say this is fairly correct, as it's decidedly more of a red than a berry or a plum. But the depth and saturation of the shade definitely give it a wine-stained look! I feel pretty vampy when wearing it and it's really quite perfect for Fall!
Here's a shot of Wicked on my lips and then in the context of an entire makeup look:
|Lime Crime Velvetines in (L-R) Wicked and Utopia|
The next shade I chose was Utopia, described as a "vibrant orchid". I'd deem it a violet-toned fuchsia that's definitely on the cooler side of things. The purple undertones separate it from the numerous fuchsia lipsticks in my stash, yet it leans pink enough to remain quite wearable!
Here's a shot of Utopia on my lips, then in the context of an entire makeup look:
I'm definitely a fool in love for both of these shades. They are beautifully bold, rich, and pigmented- perfectly up my alley! The formula has its flaws, though- so read on for a full breakdown!
- Extremely pigmented- a little goes a very long way!
- Incredibly long-wearing. Only slight touch-ups are needed following a meal and the final traces can only be removed with an oil cleanser at the end of the day
- Initial application is smooth and even
- Adorable and practical packaging that looks so cute in my bag!
- At $20 USD, these aren't cheap, but are more affordable than comparable products on the market (e.g., Hourglass Opaque Rouges)
- Vegan and cruelty-free!
- These can leave lips feeling rather parched after they dry down- if you suffer from dry lips they won't make things any better
- Though fading is definitely a slow process, they can wear off in a patchy sort of way. Touch-ups help, but it won't look as smooth and even as initial application
- The colour is seriously full-on. Not for those who prefer sheer shades on their lips!
Overall, while the formula is a bit of a mixed bag, I'll gladly stick with it because these shades are so worth fighting for! If the Velvetines didn't leave lips quite so parched they'd definitely be in A+ territory for me. Though this isn't the case, I still reach for them often because they are truly long-wearing and the shades are to die for!
Thanks for stopping by! :)