Hi, everyone! It's no secret that I love a good eye shadow palette. In fact, I love them so much that my palette collection is *almost* to the point where I'm not looking to buy any more. Almost. Given this, a palette has to be pretty damn unique to get me to pull the trigger. I'd been stalking just such a palette for several months and, after Sephora sent its end-of-year $20 off VIB coupon, I finally caved. Of course the treasure I'm speaking of is Marc Jacobs' Style Eye-Con No.7 Eyeshadow Palette in The Night Owl. I mean, look at those shades!
The Style Eye-Con palettes are designed to feature complementary, playful, fashionable shades in a variety of textures and finishes. They promise bold colour payoff, long wear, and sleek, unique packaging.
The Style Eye-Con No.7 Plush Eyeshadow Palettes come in shiny black boxes with silver lettering and full ingredient listings on the back:
Each palette is tucked inside a durable fabric pouch with a snap closure. Don't know why, but I love a good snap!
The palettes themselves are ultra sleek and chic-looking. The Siren, which was already in my collection, came in a white compact for summertime, while the permanent offerings, The Night Owl included, come in shiny black plastic compacts. It closes with a satisfying click. Always a bonus!
Upon opening the palette, the shadows are initially covered with a plastic insert that also sports the MJ label. Each of the shadows are housed in circular pans about the size of a nickel or a touch bigger.
As you can see, The Night Owl is a unique mix of warm and cool-toned neutrals with a couple brighter jewel-toned shades. There is a mix of finishes, including glitters, shimmers, and nearly-mattes.
|Marc Jacobs Style Eye-Con No.7 Eyeshadow Palette in The Night Owl (swatched on my inner arm, MAC NC15 skin tone, no primer)|
Specifically, it includes a glittery silver champagne, a deep cool-toned near-matte brown with gold micro-glitter, a bold metallic olive gold, a near-matte ivory, a shimmery turquoise with golden glitter, a warm rich brown with coppery shimmer, and a mid-tone plummy brown with a subtle sheen.
Here's a sneak peek of an eye look I created using all seven shades from The Night Owl (full Look of the Day coming soon!):
So why am I obsessed with this palette? Let me count the ways!
- That shade selection! Totally unique, yet incredibly wearable and versatile. You can complete a more basic shimmery neutral look or add lots of dimension and interest with the gold, turquoise, and eggplant shades. Such an ingenious mix.
- Although these shadows aren't "buttery soft", which many of us consider the gold standard for shadow quality, this dryer-textured formula is still incredibly smooth and pigmented. They can be built up to full intensity quite easily, but a lighter hand can still create more sheer of a wash, if desired.
- The variety of finishes really lets you create a multi-dimensional look! I love that the glitters aren't harsh or chunky (with very minimal fall-out), the shimmers are bold, and the mattes still have a subtle, flattering sheen.
- The lasting power! I wore all seven shades from this palette yesterday for my office holiday party and they looked just as bold and flawless at the end of the day, 11 hours after application. Seriously.
- That packaging! Sleek, compact, and travel-friendly, while not sacrificing an ounce of style.
If these raves aren't enough to tempt you, let's just take one more peek at these incredible colours:
I am so happy that I finally picked up this palette- I'm completely smitten! The shades are so beautifully rich and perfect for Fall and Winter and will certainly be gracing my eyes quite a bit over the holiday season. Even though I'm not actually a night owl (which means these shades will never be lasting me till the wee hours of the morning), I feel that the selection still suits me quite well :)
Do the shades in The Night Owl tempt you? Have you tried Marc Jacobs eye shadows? Any faves from the Marc Jacobs range? Are you a night owl?
Have a fantastic weekend!