Hi, everyone! I've never been a fan of drugstore mascaras. With very few exceptions, the majority of budget formulas have left my lashes looking flimsy and limp. I just haven't had luck! But once in a while I am tempted by some pretty packaging and put my prejudices aside. Such was the case when I snagged The Hot Shop's Long Lash Mascara** from The Born Pretty Store.
The Hot Shop is a range sold at Born Pretty that is a pretty clear knockoff of Topshop's makeup line. While I could be a snob about the imitation, I instead am generally drawn to the aethetic and am able to reserve judgment. Plus, the Hot Shop items I've tried before have been quite nice, so I was extra motivated to try more from the line.
The Long Lash Mascara comes housed in a minty green box and is likewise packaged in a slim green plastic tube with black lettering and detailing.
The wand is quite slim, flaring very slightly at the base. The bristles are short and fiber-based (i.e., not the pointy plastic ones) and actually grip lashes quite well.
I could go into more detail about the design, but I think a more helpful pursuit is to see the mascara in action! Here are shots of my bare lashes, then with one coat and two coats of the Long Lash Mascara:
|One coat of Long Lash Mascara, no eyeliner, lashes uncurled|
|Two coats of Long Lash Mascara, no eyeliner, lashes uncurled|
And here is the mascara in the context of a completed makeup look:
As you can see, this mascara gives some serious length- it really does not mess around! Here's a full breakdown of the pros and cons of the formula:
- Gives incredible length with a single coat! With two coats, you get some decent volume as well
- Stays put all day, even in warm weather. No smudging, melting, or flaking
- Bristles grip lashes easily, allowing for maximum lengthening effects
- Incredibly affordable- this is less than $7!
- Cute, sleek, trendy packaging.
- Does not do much to curl the lashes, though it does not promise this
- It's a pain to remove! It's not advertised as such, but it seems to be some type of waterproof, tubing mascara hybrid. Cleansing oil alone isn't enough to remove it, you need to massage the lashes gently to get it all off.
Overall, this mascara was such a pleasant surprise! It imparts amazing length with minimal effort and does not budge or flake all day long. Yes, it is a pain to remove, but a small price to pay given that this packs a serious punch at an amazing price!
If you're interested in checking out cute, affordable goodies like this from Born Pretty, you can find their site, here! I truly have been impressed with the majority of products I've tried from the site. They have a discount code on at the moment for readers of the blog- just enter VIBH10 at the checkout to save 10% off your order.
Do you have luck with drugstore mascaras? What are your faves?
Thanks for stopping by! :)
** This product was provided as a press sample by The Born Pretty Store. All stated opinions are 100% authentic, honest, and my own.